This Page

has been moved to new address

Coyote Party

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sugar Bowl Mix: Coyote Party

Friday, October 8, 2010

Coyote Party

Yesterday I posted about our neighborhood Tryst House. So today I thought I'd continue the neighborhood theme which is particularly relevant because it is the theme around which Katherine's first grade curriculum is built. Except I'm sure the first grade teacher won't cover Tryst Houses. But they might cover coyotes because coyotes live in a lot of neighborhoods in Los Angeles, including our neighborhood.

Coyotes are all around us. Literally. We see them trotting down the street. We see them hunting on the hill behind our house. We hear them crunching through the dry leaves on the hill behind our house every night. Apparently our hill is a popular coyote highway.

Occasionally we witness what everyone in the neighborhood refers to as "coyote parties." This is when every single coyote in the neighborhood gathers for, well, a party. This involves howling very loudly for a long time. This howling comes from all different directions. Once the party has been announced all the coyote party-goers gather for the party which means they all suddenly appear behind our house, in front of our house, on the street. Everywhere. And they're all running. No one is quite sure exactly what happens at the coyote party itself. Although we assume it involves eating an especially hearty and delicious meal. Hopefully not someone's beloved pet. A few doors down from us a bold coyote snatched a little Shih-Tzu dog right off its front lawn while it was relieving itself one evening. The coyote was gone before the appalled owner could even get up and start running after it. And don't even think about letting your cat out around here.

Los Angeles gets such a hard rap about so many things, but integrating with coyotes is one thing I think it does pretty well (as long as you keep a tight hold of your pets). I love living among coyotes and hearing them howl. I love that among all this urban grit wildlife still thrives. Sometimes I fantasize about living on a big horse ranch in Montana, or somewhere like that. And for a few minutes when I hear those coyotes howl and see them galloping by within an arm's reach I feel like I'm connected to nature in the same way I would be on a big ranch. And I've still got Trader Joe's and a fro-yo spot a stone's throw away.

And there's a lot more than just coyotes around here, let me tell you. There's a raccoon or a skunk or a bobcat or a something that likes to ride the girl's ride-on tractor sometimes. At least sometimes I hear the tractor moving all around the back patio. I wish I could get a picture of that for you. Or a picture of one of these big, brazen, glossy- coated- well- fed- coyotes that we see. But for now you'll have to be satisfied with this audio clip of the start of a coyote party. If you have pets you might want to send them out of the room. When Cooper hears this clip he gets a big poofy tail and hides.


post signature

ps: This is my first time including an audio clip. If it doesn't work please let me know, although I can't guarantee that I can fix it!

This post is participating in:

Weekend Bloggy Reading

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At October 8, 2010 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Michelle said...

I do not do well with wildlife being so near by! I love my fenced backyard. Keep safe!

 
At October 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Turning the Clock Back said...

we have coyotes in our neighborhoon occasionally (in the burbs of Atlanta) and my daughter has an irrational fear of them!

Just stopping by from the Friday Follow. Hope you get a chance to follow back. I have lots of ecofriendly giveaways and coupons/freebies you may find useful! Have a great weekend!

Diane
www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com

 
At October 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Ai Mei said...

Hi! I'm a new follower via Google Friend Connect. :) Found your through the Blog Hop! :) Hopefully you can stop by! I have some great giveaways going on for Powermat, Dora Digital Camera and more!

-Ai Mei
StudentSavingBucks

 
At October 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to L.A. but have never heard of the coyotes! How cool.

 
At October 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

We have a coyote or two around here every so often...not good for the domesticated animals, like you said. My FIL has had to shoot one for killing his chickens. :s Thanks for linking up this week. :)

 
At October 8, 2010 at 9:02 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

Ah yes. We also have coyotes down here in The OC. Bobcats and mountain lions, too. Every time I see a coyote my first thought is "Oh look, a stray dog!" and then I'm all, "Oh. No. Coyote." I've also seen two bobcats but fortunately NO mountain lions!

 
At October 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM , Blogger The Sisters' Hood said...

We are in FL, and have had possums in our yard, a raccoon drinking out of our pool and nearly ran over an armadillo last week!
and we are in Boca Raton!
Happy weekend!

 
At October 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM , Blogger dtbrents said...

I love the story. I seldom see them but we have foxes. They seem to be quiet. I'm a new follower from Friday Follows. Doylene

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home