This Page

has been moved to new address

The finger and a white lie

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sugar Bowl Mix: The finger and a white lie

Friday, October 15, 2010

The finger and a white lie

Tim and I try hard to be cognizant of what we discuss in front of the girls. But sometimes, like a few days ago, we forget what we're saying - or I forget what I'm saying - and we wind up in one of those "discussions" that we were saving for later, when, you know, the girls are older.

Or, we pull ourselves out of the messy "discussion" with a clean, little white lie.

A few days ago we were driving to the movie theater to see Secretariat (not very good, but worth it for the horse racing scenes alone). A woman driver next to us, annoyed about being in Los Angeles traffic, gave us the finger as she cut in front of us and sped off.

"Did you see that?" I exclaimed to Tim. "She just gave you the finger!"

Oops.

"What does that mean she gave you the finger?" Caroline asked.
"It's just a grown-up expression," I said.
"What does it mean, though," Caroline pressed.
"Uh, uh... she wagged her finger at me," I said lamely.
"What does that mean?"
"You mean she took her finger off and handed it to you?" Katherine asked.
"No, no," Tim said. "She was shaking her finger at us."
"Her pinky?" Katherine asked.
"No," I said.
"What finger?" Caroline asked.
Tim took his index finger and wagged it. "Like this."

"She was being rude," I said with an air of finality.
"Yeah, that's not polite," Katherine said, wagging her index finger at Caroline.

"So, what treats will everyone get at the movie?" I asked.


post signature

This post is participating in:

Weekend Bloggy Reading

and




Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At October 15, 2010 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

too funny! good way out of the situation!

 
At October 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ooh, very good brush off! I am also guilty of getting myself stuck in those sticky situations. :s I am pretty good at distracting them though. ;) Thanks so much for joining my party! :)

 
At October 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

Oh goodness Anne, that is an oops we all find ourselves in at times. You handled it well. I am seeing with Little Chick that she has learned a few words at school I never used in the house. So now we have to talk about them and how ther are not nice words. It is tough as parents, but they will come up sooner or later. Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

 
At October 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM , Blogger One Photo said...

I used to curse all the time thanks to a long career in the telecom cabling industry surrounded by cabling guys. So I was very worried about how I would manage to clean up my act as a mother, however I've done really well. Just every now and again, in extreme moments, I will forget such as when being pulled over a few weeks ago by the police. "Damn" I said and immediately a little voice piped up and said "what does this damn mean Mommy?"

 
At October 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Too funny! I'm your newest follower through Mama's Little Nestwork and I can't wait to read more.

Jill
http://meetthedubiens.blogspot.com/

 
At October 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Liz said...

Ha! Good cover! And don't the most random things come up sometimes? We are the same way about being careful what we talk about when Kate is around.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home