This Page

has been moved to new address

My family's chocolate cake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sugar Bowl Mix: My family's chocolate cake

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My family's chocolate cake


Last week I celebrated a birthday. Every year I make myself my great Aunt Neanie's chocolate cake. This is known to everyone in my family (and to many friends!) simply as Aunt Neanie's cake. My great Aunt Neanie was an amazing baker. This particular recipe is an old dutch recipe that she adapted. I grew up on this cake. My mother still makes it every time we visit her. It's my girls' favorite dessert.

It's a wonderful way to remember my great Aunt Neanie, a vivacious, energetic, always-on-the-move, big-hearted woman.

The cake is light and fluffy and not too sweet. I've never tasted another chocolate cake quite like it. My family always serves it with vanilla buttercream frosting and chocolate drips. Perfection!

Cake
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cup milk

Melt the chocolate in the double boiler or in the microwave (3 minutes at 50% power). Let cool slightly.

Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Slowly add in the cooled chocolate. Add the sifted flour and baking powder alternately with the milk.

Pour into three greased and floured 8 inch round pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (times vary depending on your oven) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cakes cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning them out.

Vanilla Buttercream frosting
2 lbs confectioner's sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream the butter. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost the cake.

Chocolate drips
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
2 teaspoons butter

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler or in the microwave. While hot pour over the frosted cake.


Enjoy!

Find the recipe to print here.

post signature

This post is participating in Be One Fine Day's Monday blog hop and Monday Mingle at Tough Cookie Mommy.








Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home