This Page

has been moved to new address

Strawberry crisp: A taste of summer in winter

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sugar Bowl Mix: Strawberry crisp: A taste of summer in winter

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Strawberry crisp: A taste of summer in winter


I bought a three pack of fresh strawberries at the farmer's market. I was yearning for a bite of summer in winter and these strawberries tasted of warm sun.

After I brought them home I realized we wouldn't be able to eat them all before they started getting mushy. Given my obsession with all things chocolate, dipping them in chocolate was an obvious choice. But a boring choice.

I remembered a simple recipe for strawberry rhubarb crisp in Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. (If you're not a vegetarian you may become one after reading this book). I adapted the recipe so it's not quite as sweet and only has strawberries.

I'm not a fruit pie kind of gal, but give me this crisp with its crunchy topping and bubbling hot strawberries and I'll eat it instead of chocolate.

Now that is quite a feat.

Ingredients
3-4 cups strawberries, halved
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, cut up in small pieces

Directions
Lightly butter a 9 inch pie dish. Mix the strawberries with the honey in the pie dish.


Mix the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and butter together with a fork until crumbly.


Pour onto the strawberries.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and the strawberries are bubbling

Serve warm with a dollop of ice cream. Divine.


Enjoy!

post signature

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home